ELIMINATE YOUR IT PAIN!!
Notes on the “new” backups:
There have never been so many confusing backup options as there are today.
- Actually the backups are really the same – only they now have new names and new features.
- File Backups – this type of backup only backs up user files, such as documents, spreadsheets, images, etc. They do not backup system registries, SQL databases, or other TECHNICAL information.
- Image backups – backup an entire computer image (a snapshot if you will) and you can restore the computer back to that exact snapshot in time.
- Incremental backups – they backup only what was changed since the last backup was done.
- Differential backups – This is a tricky one. This is a backup of all that has changed since the last FULL backup has been done.
What type of backup do you need?
- If you want complete backup protection that protects you even if your building burns down, you will need at minimum an offsite backup that does onsite and offsite image backups and daily incremental backups. The only downside is that a restore can take days (or even weeks) depending on how much data you have to restore and what your bandwidth is. And the first full backup may also take days (or even weeks).
- If you want complete backup protection that protects your business with the exception of your building burning, you will need at minimum an onsite backup that does onsite image backups and daily incremental backups. In this case backups and restores will be much faster since you will be running at network speed as opposed to Internet speed. Think of VEEAM and Acronis.
- If you only care about backing up your important files and documents then an offsite file backup would work very well for you. Think of Carbonite.
- Now depending your exact situation, these methods can be combined in a mix and match manner.
What type of backup can you afford?
- A onsite and offsite backup is the best but also the most expensive. You are paying for a local backup, a remote backup, a good remote backup service provider, a good backup software, and finally a good amount of bandwidth (recommended 25Mbs up and 25Mbs down). Examples of excellent backup software are VEEAM and Acronis. You will also need a local backup device. The actual cost depends on how much data you have, how many sockets you have, and the backup software that you have to license. The software can be expensive as well as the actual offsite storage.
- An onsite only backup is the next best and not as expensive as an onsite and offsite backup. You are only paying for a local backup. Examples of excellent backup software are VEEAM and Acronis. You will also need a local backup device. The actual cost depends on how many sockets you have, and the backup software that you have to license.
- Carbonite File Backup – an excellent service that provides excellent file backups. System image backups are also coming out. Not as expensive as VEEAM and Acronis.
CYBER SECURITY BACKUP COMPIANCE ISSUES
Cyber Security is a consideration in all things these days even with backups.
If you are subject to cyber security compliance regulations, you can easily address most issues but ensuring that your backups are protected with a nice long password (at least 16 characters).
Instead of a passWORD think of a passPHRASE that is long enough but easy to remember and keep it under wraps and limited to only the chosen few.
MISCELLANOUS BACKUP NOTES
- If you are regulated in any way (i.e. PCI, SOX, HIPAA, DHS, NIST), you will need to ensure that you have a tightly controlled user id and password to protect your backups.
Do you ever use MS Paint? — L?
If so please, click on link.
Do you think IT and Electronics are going too far?
Upcoming in the next Tidbits
Some timely tips on Virtual Servers and how to use them to save electricity, floor space, and money.
$$$ — Reward — $$$$
$100 CASH reward for any business referral that signs up with Oasis Technology for monthly IT support (referred business must reside in Calabasas, Agoura, Westlake, Ventura County, and South Santa Barbara County ONLY).
To refer a company, simply reply to this email with the name and contact information of your referral — we will take care of the rest.